Saturday, August 22, 2015

On Drinking



A friend, who I'm just getting to know, asked me a question today.  It's interesting because her question is one I'm always curious to ask new friends.  Especially my Christian ones...




This was her question to me via text...the exact words. Oh the seriousness of it all! I thought it may have been a deal breaker...




And I was straight up with her. I told her I do like a glass of wine once in a while. I'm comfortable drinking if friends are, and I'm also totally fine with not drinking too.

Turns out she likes a drink sometimes too.  Whew! Friendship salvaged.

But seriously. On the topic of drinking, I have friends who don't drink at all and aren't bothered if friends drink around them. But sometimes I wonder if there are others who are offended or bothered when people drink in their midst, particularly Christians.

I believe everything in moderation.  I think if one has to drink (or smoke) every day in order to feel good and to get through each day, there may be a bigger issue there that needs some attention. I don't feel that a glass of wine or alcoholic beverage once in a while is a bad thing.  I think if you're behaving and acting responsibly and the alcohol does not impair your judgment, it's okay once in a while.

I have many Christian friends who don't drink.  At least, I've never seen them drinking.  And I've never really brought up the subject for fear of being judged.  Seems silly right?  It's a dialogue I've always been curious about starting, so I think I may need to start asking some questions.

And I may be just a bit surprised by some of their answers.

Whether Christian or not, what's your view on drinking?

No comments: