Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Thing about Running


I can't remember exactly what circumstances led me to running. I think it had to do with my vivacious friend Bridget talking me into running Atlanta's Half Marathon on Thanksgiving Day several years ago.  I remember thinking what have I gotten myself into this time?  Back then I was no runner. I couldn't even run a mile without stopping. How in the world would I run 13.1 miles?

But that's the thing about running. If you do. You can.

There's just something magical and empowering about the way I feel after I run. It's a certain accomplishment...the feeling that I can do anything if I put my mind to it, and somehow I am more peaceful in my mind and thoughts...even though there is still much to do and accomplish. I vividly remember the day I completed my first nine miles. It was the week before the half marathon and Bridget and I had gone to a beautiful trail along the Chattahoochee River.  I was the girl who couldn't run a mile, and here I was running the longest distance I had ever ran in my life.  It was the best feeling in the world. I could do anything I wanted. Running did that for me.

If only I had running when I was a teenager...

You see, I discovered running and it's benefits as an adult. But I know running would have been equally beneficial to me as a teenager as I'm sure I would have dealt with life, my roller coaster emotions, and the whole idea of "fitting in" a whole lot better. I remember moving to the United States from Jamaica at the tender age of 14. I was in a new country, a new school, and I didn't feel like I belonged at all. I felt awkward and self-conscious, like an outsider. If only I had had something like running to build my confidence and self-esteem. If only I had had a running club to build me up, on the many days I felt so down.

I've been thinking about running a lot this weekend.  At the end of last school year, I was asked to be one of the coaches for our girls' running club, and I enthusiastically said yes! It's an awesome organization called Girls on the Run, and even though I've been a running buddy for students before, this time I will hold the title coach. I'm really excited and honored to be coaching young girls in this capacity. The middle school program is called Heart & Sole, and it's designed specifically to address all the issues young girls go through while incorporating the benefits of running.

I'm looking forward to the start of our program, and I can't wait to get a few girls hooked on that feeling you get from running.

No comments: