Monday, August 3, 2015

Tip #2 from a So-Called Veteran Teacher


There is a lot to be done before students return to school, one week from today, which brings me to tip number 2, from a "so-called veteran teacher..."


...if you can, and if it's at all possible, set up and decorate your classroom before you report to work. Yes, teachers (at least in my school district) report to work a whole week before the students do, but with a week filled with new procedures and lots and lots of meetings, there really isn't much time to devote in your room decorating and making it perfect for that first day of school.

I like to get in the week before I go back to work, and set things up just the way I like. That way, when I do report for work, I can focus on all the "to do's" without worrying if I'll have enough time and energy to work on my room.

Now there's just one caveat. Make sure your room is really your room, and there will be no room changes. You wouldn't want to do all that work, and then find out you'll have to do it all over again. I've seen it happen, and it's not pleasant.

I'm still not quite finished with my room.  There's just a bit more to go, but because my mom requested, here are a few photos of my room "before" and then "after."

Before - my classroom back in June
After...






No comments: