Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Even After...Love Lives

Photo Credit - www.visitcalifornia.com

We all know that death is inevitable, and yet it remains one of the most unbearable things in life that any human being should ever have to face.

This past weekend, I attended the visitation for the husband of a friend and colleague.

Since news of his passing, I've been thinking about their family. A lot.  His wife of over 30 years. And their three children...though adults...still their children.  How are they coping? What emotions are they going through? Are they grieving a lot? Finding moments of joy in sweet memories? Are they utterly exhausted with all the planning and preparation they've had to do?  How does one even comprehend and accept such a devastating loss?  How will they overcome their pain and heartache.  Will they ever?

And this is what settled in my heart...



Even after.  Love lives.

I had only met and talked with my friend and colleague's husband three times. Very briefly. But in the short time I spent with him, I could tell how warm of a person he was. During our first meeting, he joked about his wife, and immediately put me at ease, and made me more comfortable. That's the kind of person he was.

Honorably discharged from the United States Marine Corps, he'd visited our school many times, over the years, and gave presentations to the students on his travels abroad and brought with him, every time, super cool artifacts from all over the world.

But you know what I discovered? I learned more about this wonderful man and his family on the day of his funeral service. Yes. I discovered he was a very talented artist - some of his paintings were displayed for all to see, he was full of life and vitality, and he loved his family - as was evidenced in the numerous photos shown on a slide show and in framed photographs that adorned the room.

Of all the photos, my absolute favorite was taken on what I believe was their wedding day.  I don't think I've ever seen a more beautiful couple. They were so young and seemed so naive, and I guess that was the beauty of it.  They were about to embark on their lives together...doing things their way, and creating special memories. There was just something about that photo.  I still can't get it out of my mind.

Even after. Love lives.

His love lives.

His love lives in his children. He's left a legacy for each of them that not even mortality can touch.

His love lives in the countless memories he's created with each of his beautiful children and his devoted wife...not even loss can erase.

His love lives in his union to his beloved...all the tender moments they've shared, all the secrets they've exchanged, all the laughter, all the tears, all the sacrifices...all of it.  That's the power of love.

Even after.  His love lives.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal."

Hoping one day, the hearts of this family will ache a little less.

No comments: