Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Tip #12 - Encourage Each Other

Sixth Grade Literacy Night








They say a teacher may never know her impact, on her students, for years to come. It's really true, and that's why it's so important for colleagues to support each other.

Teaching can seem like such an isolated profession at times. If you're not a support teacher, you can spend most days in your classroom, within those four walls, without any adult interaction or worse, without any validation...





At my school, we recognize a "teacher of the month" during our monthly faculty meeting. And during monthly grade level meetings, we always try to "shout out" someone who's doing something amazing or wonderful.

But that's not enough. At a job where you work way more than your contract hours...juggling many different roles such as counselor, therapist, mediator, listener, friend, advocate, nurse, comedian, singer, performer, detective, disciplinarian, and so much more...teachers can often feel over-worked and under-appreciated.

Teachers need to encourage each other, and that's why tip #12 from a so-called veteran teacher is so important. From the littlest thing...to the biggest thing, it doesn't matter. We have got to support each other and cheer for each other, along the way, during the school year.

I was reminded of this, a couple of weeks ago, when one of my teammates sent me an email that really boosted my spirit. She wrote:

I'm impressed by how well the students are writing! They had a short answer
response on the science test Friday. They had to give three ways a family
could conserve water in complete sentences.  I usually dread reading
essays but you are making my job so much easier!
Thanks!!

And just like that, with those few lines, I immediately felt appreciated and valued. 

Thanks teammate.   Your email made my day!

No comments: