Monday, November 7, 2016

On Trying New Things in Teaching



This school year, I'm trying all things new. New strategies. New ways of doing old things. Fresh. New. Unfamiliar. New.  And I'm discovering that the very things I've always been afraid to try, aren't as daunting as they first appeared...




Take for example...Socratic seminars. I've always wanted to try them, but I've also always talked myself out of them. They will take too much time. My kids aren't ready for them. What if... Yadda, yadda, yadda! The truth is, my kids would have been just fine! Today, I watched and listened as my kids discussed and questioned each other during four sessions of Socratic seminars, and they were amazing. All were engaged and focused. Even the ones I thought would struggle, far exceeded my expectations. Today was a good one.

The same goes for debates. I made the same excuses, but I've found many times, over and over again, "I need to get out of my own way." Really.

Now that we're into the fourth month of school, I've done Socratic seminars, debates, and I've tried a slew of new strategies I've been learning in the year-long class I'm taking. And you know what? The new, fresh and unfamiliar things are great! Seriously.

The truth is, as educators we can't expect to get different results doing the same old things. Some things have to change. We need to change. Whether it's trying new strategies or infusing technology into the classroom, we have to get out of our own way.

I truly believe these new ways of engaging my kiddos will make them soar to new heights. And isn't that the whole point? Our kids are the reason we teach!

No comments: