Friday, September 8, 2017

On Being Named Teacher of the Year


This week has been incredible...


I always had dreams about being named, "Teacher of the Year (TOTY)" at my school.  In fact, it was a goal I wanted to achieve within the first five years of my career. But as I would find out, there is so much to learn, and I believe I'm always learning and growing in this profession.

This is the third time I have been nominated at my school. The first two times, I didn't feel I was good enough for this honor. But this year, I felt it was time. Maybe it's because I'm reading this book.  I decided to go for it.  And see it through.

I completed the local school application and found out I, along with two other teachers from my school, made it as finalists. We recorded a video of our teaching for our colleagues to watch, and then last week the school got to cast their vote for TOTY.

This week, I got the news.





My students, teammates and colleagues have been incredibly supportive. This week, there's been no shortage of hugs, shout-outs, and, "Congratulations!!!"

But it's not over. I'm in the midst of the application process for the next round...the district level. I'm going to do my best to represent my school, but I'm also staying grounded in remembering what's important. Teaching my kids and making them successful. That's my priority.

No matter what happens, I'm truly humbled and honored to have this recognition. Like The Hubs told me this week, "I'm so proud of you. I know you're a great teacher, but now everyone knows." Well not everyone, but you get the point. 

And now I'm going to end with the reason I started this blog in the first place...

Do something amazingly different, and live your best possible life!

No comments: