Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Make Someone's Day - 2


You know what I noticed today?

Senior citizens have a lot to talk about!

It must be because they are lonely and have no one to talk to at home. 

I was reminded of this today during day two of my challenge. 




Even though school doesn't start for another month, I decided to be proactive and complete Buddy Roller's back to school shopping.


While in line, unloading dozens and dozens of school supplies I noticed an older gentleman in line behind me.

He was holding only a few items.

"Why don't you get in front of me; you only have four things."

"Thank you so much," he gladly responded.

And his enthusiasm didn't stop there. 

He went on to show me the items he was purchasing.

They were all bird food, by the way.

He told me about all the birds he feeds daily.

He also told me what would happen if he didn't feed them.

They would "poop all over my yard!"

He also mentioned a cat a few doors down from his house that he's thinking of feeding.

I could tell he was happy to have someone to talk to.

I could sense he doesn't have much conversation at home.

And even though it was a small, random act of kindness, I could tell that he appreciated me taking the time to listen, look him in the eye, and have a dialogue with him.

You see, it's the little things that matter.

And had I been rushing around today, checking off my to-do list, rushing from one task to the next, I would never have noticed a nice gentleman who just wanted to have a conversation with another human being.

Living each day with intention can make someone's day.

No comments: