Thursday, July 24, 2014

A Compromising Meal


Don't ever make a promise to a four year old.

Especially one you don't intend to keep.

And not specifically to an extraordinary little someone we call Buddy Roller.



Last night, I made the mistake of promising Buddy Roller that I would take him to his favorite "Pandy Express" (Panda Express) for lunch today.

I should have known better.

He's not one to forget a promise.

There was no talking him into another option.

There was no way out of this one.

didn't want Panda Express.

After traveling this summer and eating the way I did for the past two months, I just wanted something light.

Not Pandy Express.

My solution?

He would get what he wanted, and I would too.

So that's exactly what happened.

First we stopped at Panda Express and got his usual.

One kid's meal orange chicken ,chow mein, and tropical fruit punch.

And let's not forget.

One chocolate chip cookie.

"To go, please," I smiled at the food server.

Second stop, nearby Panera Bread where I ordered what I wanted.

The Asian sesame chicken salad and the vegetarian summer corn chowder.

And we both ate our two different meals right there at Panera Bread.

One might have stared or wondered why there was outside food at this eatery.

But I didn't notice, and I didn't care.

Sometimes you do what you have to do.

And at the end of our respective meals, we each ate our own very different treats.

It was a compromise worth having.

No comments: