Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Almost Ten


In about a month, my favorite son will be ten. TENNN! That's double digits!!  How did this happen???



At this age, he's even lovelier than ever. My husband may cringe to hear me describe our son this way, but he really is.  He's very smart, and these days he loves to argue (not in a rude way) and disagree with everything (!) I present to him. He continues to be full of life and personality, and I love to watch the way he explains things to me...often saying, "Mommy, Mommy!" and using his hands in wild gestures.

Last week he said to me, "Mommy I want to go fishing," and I said, "Sure, let's do it," and just like that, he (we) gained a new hobby. I loved the way he took charge when we bought our fishing gear. He went on YouTube, watched some videos and learned how to put together his fishing pole and line, and he even learned how to tie a clinch knot for the hook. The thing I love most about fishing is that it's really a calming and quiet sport, and we get to sit side by side and talk about anything and everything in the whole wide world!

One of the things he's most intrigued with right now (besides finally figuring out how to solve a Rubix's Cube!) is the idea of using deodorant! He thinks using deodorant means he will be a "grown man." Oh boy, he has a lot to learn! I think it all started last summer when we visited relatives in New York, and he went with his older cousin, Aaron, to the grocery story and watched him as he tried out the smells of the different varieties. In that moment, a seed was planted.

Last night after playing outside and before he got in the shower, he was walking around in his underwear asking, "Mommy can I wear deodorant now?"

I said, "Let me sniff under your arm."

After sniffing his armpit a couple of times I said, "No. It's not time yet. But soon. Maybe soon." He certainly doesn't smell like he did when he was four and sweaty, but he also doesn't smell like a middle schooler who's just had P.E. "Bah-lieve me, I would know!!!"

These are fun times watching him grow up. I'm savoring each moment and soaking it all up because I know the years will just continue to speed ahead.

Buddy Roller, one of my greatest and most proud roles is being your Mom!

No comments: