Wednesday, July 3, 2019

On Turning Forty-Five


I've never been one to care about age, and I'm not afraid to tell my age when asked (just ask me!). But something happened to me when I turned 45 in January...


Year 45 is sooo much unlike any other age!

It's like suddenly I woke up and it hit me! I'm forty-five. Fortee-fiiiive!!!  I've lived more than half my life!  I have less time to accomplish my goals!! What are my goals again (yikes!!!)??? Less time to watch my son grow up. Less time to read all the books I want to read. Less time to travel and see the world. Less time to...live!!!

It's like I was "young" one minute, cause I still feel young, but then I woke up and earned a whole new title..."middle age."  Forty-five is giving me mad anxiety. Certainly, I cannot be alone in this. Do you (did you) have similar feelings?

Turns out I'm not alone. The fears that come with growing older are quite common, but there's hope! One study detailed in Psychology Today shows no measurable decline in body function til after age 70, and cognitive abilities were still intact to at least 75! What does that mean for me and you? We've got more time (30 years for me but who's counting?) to accomplish those goals, read more books, spend time with loved ones and friends, and travel!

Older people are often times (and unfairly) portrayed as mean, grumpy, and a burden to society in television and movies. And I think sometimes that's where our fear grows from. Instead we need to replace those images with ones that include older people living healthy lifestyles, always on the move, full of vitality, and making an impact in their communities.

I don't know about you, but I'm going to be one young looking "middle age" woman, who's always on the go, making things happen, and living my best possible life!

No comments: