Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Praising Him in the Storm

I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm
- Casting Crowns -

It's been a rough few days. 

I'm on spring break, and I was looking forward to some rest and mental distance from work. Instead, I've been spending the past few days caring for a very sick Buddy Roller who suffers from asthma. If you have a child with asthma, you can relate.

It started on Sunday. He woke up with a fever and cough. The fever has lasted three days now.  So has the cough. We've been to the doctor, and he's on a slew of medicines and breathing treatments.  But it seems this thing just has to run its course. 

He's been cranky, clingy, and needy. He has not been eating nor sleeping well. As a result, I've had some sleepless nights myself. I think I'm becoming cranky. The days, it seems, have all blended into one. This morning I actually had to go in search of what day it actually is. I have lost track.

As I was getting Buddy Roller dressed this morning, I really wanted to cry. I am tired, but most of all, I hate seeing my child sick. It just breaks my heart to see and hear him cough all day to the point where he can't even finish a sentence. But as I almost gave in to my tears, I was reminded to praise Him. 

When we face challenging times, so often our first reaction is to complain, blame someone else or worse, take our anger out on an innocent person. I've been there. But today, thankfully, I remembered to praise Him. I took Buddy Roller in my arms and I praised God and thanked Him for all the blessings we have.  As I listed blessing after blessing, one by one, speaking them out loud, I truly felt better. 

As a Christian, I know not to let the storms of life get the better of me. I'm grateful that this morning I remembered to give thanks and praise to the One who truly takes it all away. 

But as the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away
- Casting Crowns -

No comments: