Tuesday, November 4, 2014

A First Time for Everything


I had heard only two things about this procedure. One, it doesn't take a lot of time, and two, it's more uncomfortable than painful. So other than that, I didn't have any expectations this morning when I went for my first ever mammogram.


As expected, I was in and out of there in no time. First, I had to complete some paperwork.


Next, I was taken to a very clean and welcoming waiting area which almost reminded me of being at a spa.


Then I was handed a very warm and soft hospital gown. Why so warm? I thought.  Probably because I had to wipe my underarms with a very cold disposable wipe! I was warned not to wear deodorant the morning of the procedure...but who can leave the house without deodorant! Those wipes were frigid; I was thankful for that warm gown!  I was told to undress from the waist up, and I was given a locker and key to store my clothes and possessions. 


Then I entered the room where I was to have my first mammogram when I spotted this contraption. The one that was to hold and smash for breasts so that the technician could get pictures of my tissues to screen for cancerous cells.  The middle part that you see in the above photo would later be placed down over my breast, pushing down on me like when you are forcing more clothes into a suitcase that is packed beyond its limit.  I would have to maneuver my body in weird angles so that I would be in the right position for my X-rays.  I was told to breathe out and then breathe in, holding my breath for 10 seconds as the machine pushed down further on me. That part, I admit, was painful, but it only lasted about 10 seconds each of the four times it was done. I think someone should really consider designing a whole new, better contraption...one that actually molds to your breast without clamping down and causing such discomfort.


All in all, I totally agree with what I was told to expect about this procedure. It didn't take a long time, and it was more uncomfortable than painful. After all, I was able to smile for my camera after it was all over!



I did feel a little sore later today, but not a big deal, and nothing a couple Tylenol couldn't fix. The bottom line is this...the discomfort and the time spent getting a mammogram today were well worth it.  If early detection is key, then I want to do all I can to be proactive and stay healthy.

No comments: