Saturday, April 11, 2015

Feeling Hungry on Day One


In an effort to have some accountability, I've decided to share some of my 30 day journey of eating healthier. Remember my plan consists of only three food groups.  Fruits. Meats. And vegetables.  First of all, you should never decide to start any new eating plan without first going to the grocery store and stocking up on all the necessary food items. I was so gung-ho about starting this challenge that I just decided to do it this morning...with absolutely no planning. And after my two mile run...I found myself starving with not that many options of food to eat! I ate an orange and some tuna and was starving  for most of the morning. I stopped at Panera Bread for a chicken salad and apple before heading to the grocery store to get my food items for the week.


Three things were clear to me on this first day of my journey. One, hardly anything I picked up was in a box or processed which means I got mostly healthy foods. Two, eating healthier costs a little bit more.  And that's okay. And three, cooking healthier is actually faster than the other meals I'm used to preparing. I was excited to try out some quick and easy recipes for my first dinner eating the right way.  Tonight's dinner was simple, yet it had a ton of flavor. I grilled some scallops, asparagus, carrots and yellow peppers in a savory lemon butter sauce. I also marinated some chicken breasts in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper for about 20 minutes before grilling them. Dinner, which was surprisingly delicious, was finished off with a very sweet and juicy navel orange followed by a Larabar only because I just didn't feel quite full.  I'm sure it's because I have this really bad habit of trying to complete any meal with something sinfully sweet.  That's a main reason I want to do this challenge. I need to stop my bad eating habits.


The first bite of my Larabar was really bad and my first thought was no way I'm eating that! But...after swallowing, it really wasn't that bad, and it helped to satisfy my urge of wanting something more. Larabars are made with fruit and nut, so it's perfect to eat when I feel I need a little something extra.  And they're going to help me get through these next 29 days.

Day one. Check. I'm feeling pretty good. I hope the next few days will go well. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: