Saturday, April 4, 2015

Would You Dine Alone?

Panera Bread's Thai chicken salad and creamy tomato soup

Would you dine alone?

In my 20's and early 30's, I hated to eat alone and wouldn't do so voluntarily. Now in my 40's, I don't mind it a bit. There's something empowering and confident about dining solo.

Earlier today I had some rare "me time," and I treasured every moment.  I had an early morning appointment at the hair salon. The drive in the car was very peaceful and tranquil. I've said before that after working all week with children, the calm and quiet are a welcomed treat.  After my hair appointment with Creative Director, Rebecca at Toni&Guy, which included a blissful head massage and a "flawless" blow out, I casually wandered the mall browsing through a few stores. I did so at my leisure with no distractions or restrictions. If you're the mom of a young child, you can understand how being at the mall alone is refreshing. In fact, in the last five years, I've considered it a treat just to go grocery shopping alone. Ha! Can you relate?

On the way home, I was starving, so I stopped at Panera Bread for lunch. Alone. It was lovely. I ate in solitude and took my time. Not the usual 20 minutes I get at school, where you literally have to do what I call, "bite and swallow"!  I treated myself to some hazelnut coffee too, and the best part about eating solo...people watching! Just ask The Hubs. It's a favorite hobby of mine!

After my sequestration, I was ready to head home and see my two favorite guys. That's what "me time" does.  It gives you time to yourself, to do what makes you happy, to sort out your feelings and emotions, to just have time to think and process. It brings you peace of mind so that when you are around others, you can be a happier you!

So.  Back to my question...would you dine alone?

No comments: