Sunday, August 28, 2016

Pic of the Day - School Projects


How do you feel about school projects?



Do you dread them? Or...are you one of those creative OCD parents who can't wait to (even though you know you shouldn't) take over your kid's project and do all the work yourself?

Well after my rant, on my last post, about second grade homework, I was mischievously plotting to start a business where parents could solicit a company to "do" their kids' projects. Oh come on! Don't be appalled! You know you've seen them...projects you know were never completed by that child. Totally and completely "done" by said parents! Anyways I was just kidding about the business idea! Really I was!

But all jokes aside, I think we're doing our kids a disservice when we "do" their work for them. It doesn't teach them good morals or a solid work ethic.  Sure, with time constraints, deadlines and the ever demanding life of full-time parenting and working, it may seem "easier" to just do it. But don't. Kids need to do their work. Their way. It teaches them responsibility, and it enables them to be creative. And let's be real. A second grade project...needs to look like, and be a second grade project. Not a project that someone in their 30's or 40's, with a college degree, completed. Right?

This evening Buddy Roller started putting together his state mystery box project. Last week, I showed him how to research a topic, and he looked up all the facts about his state, and he took notes. Then I asked him how he wanted his project to look. Sure there have been many, many times during this process where I wanted to take over, but it's all about holding back. And kids are great, once they have their ideas, they'll just go with it!

I can't wait to see the finished product!

No comments: