Thursday, January 28, 2021

Read Any Good Books Lately?


I've come to realize that I'm a very picky reader...

I love hard and softcover books, but I really hate those super small softcover books with the teeny tiny print. Know which ones I'm talking about? You can usually find them at grocery stores and pharmacies. 

I love books that have short chapters.  This way I feel like I'm accomplishing something big when I've read several chapters at once. I hate to be in the middle of a long chapter and have to stop reading, only to come back to a page and realize I don't remember what happened or where I left off!

So when I started reading this book, I was happy it met ALL my reading requirements...

Short chapters. Check. Page turner. Check. Mystery. Check. Psych thriller. Check. Twist at the end that I didn't see coming. Check. Check!!!

In The Silent Patient, artist and wife, Alicia Berenson commits a horrible crime. She is sentenced to a mental institution where she hasn't spoken a word since her misdeed. Six years later comes Theo Faber,  a psychotherapist, who is fascinated by Alicia's case and feels compelled to get her to speak, so he can "save" her. What follows are twists and turns until the very end of the book, when it all comes together and the unexpected (!) is revealed. 

I swear, I didn't see this one coming. At all! If you're looking for a good distraction from life, I highly recommend this one. The end of every chapter leaves you wanting more.

Happy reading!

No comments: