Thursday, January 28, 2016

Tip #10 - No Need to Reinvent the Wheel


If you're a teacher, then you have access to a plethora of teaching tools, resources and strategies right at your fingertips by way of the very wise teachers that are already in your school.

And this brings me to tip number ten from a so-called veteran teacher...




There's no need to reinvent the wheel. None.

Why work harder when you can work smarter? If you need help with something, need a new lesson, or a new way of teaching a skill...ask another teacher for help. Most teachers I know love sharing their resources. After all, if they've done it before, they've tried it, tested it, and it's no doubt kid-approved. 

Veteran teachers are also a great sounding board, and they can provide tips for just about anything...even classroom management. I was really struggling this week with two of my classes when it came to managing really negative behaviors.  At our curriculum meeting this week, I really poured out my frustration and felt really supported by my colleagues. Not only were they very good listeners, but they also provided me with some great and easy to implement strategies that I used right away. And you know what? Their strategies worked which made for a very good day for this teacher. 

Veteran teachers are wise. They have the goods. Ask for their help and use their strategies.

I do...all the time.

No comments: