Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Wedded Wednesdays - Who Do You Adore?


A wise man once said, "What you do speaks so loudly I cannot hear what you're saying." The notion...that our actions speak more than our words because we can all talk a good game, but it all comes down to what we actually do.

The Hubs uses this quote quite often.  But I've found that I've never heard these words more clearly than now...




If you didn't already know this,  I just adore my son. I mean, I can just sit and watch him do...whatever...and be so proud and so in awe of him. I guess it's because I'm still so thrilled about the miracle of life. That The Hubs and I created this little person who just continues to grow, and astonish me, and amuse me, in ways I could only have dreamed of. If you're a mom, I'm sure you can relate.

Even when I'm tired or sick, even when I feel I have nothing left in me, I can still go a little bit more and take care of him. Is that some special mommy super power? It must be...because I've seen some parents succumb to sleep and exhaustion way faster than some moms do. Am I right? Or am I right? And then there's just something about the bond between a mother and her child that is just so hard to explain...to someone other than a mom. Right?

Before kid (BK), when it was just me and The Hubs...it was all about The Hubs. He was the one I adored. He was the only one who had my attention and affection.  And now, after kid (AK), it's not that I don't adore him anymore, because I do, it's just a different dynamic.  The other night, we had one of those talks, we have once in a while, where we take stock of our marriage and our family...we talk about what's working and what's not. We talk about what needs improving, and we talk about our love tanks, and what we can do to keep them full. Anyways it was mentioned that it's very clear that I adore Buddy Roller...my actions show it. And while I say I adore The Hubs...well, my actions speak so loudly, The Hubs can hardly hear me.

Wow. I took a moment to let that one sink in. And you know what? The Hubs was right. As painful as it was to hear that, it was even more hurtful to realize that I had been lacking in making sure my husband knows he is adored.

On my way to work the next day, I thought a lot about what The Hubs said. It resonated with me. I mean, I got to thinking.  How would I feel if The Hubs found a new hobby, or a new something that totally consumed him, and had his full attention?  How would I feel? Well. I wouldn't like it at all. And when the tables are turned, I finally got perspective. Coincidentally, the song, Love on Top by Beyonce, was playing as I drove into work that morning. It made me think about how I use to put our love...on top, and how I must make my way back to that.

So. Yes.  Getting back to what matters. The priorities. And making sure my husband...and best friend...knows he is a priority, he really matters, and he is adored! That our love...is on top!

My actions have to speak so loudly that there can be no room for any misunderstandings.

No comments: