Sunday, March 20, 2016

On the Proposal




Since today is National Proposal Day, I'm reminiscing about The Hubs proposing to me almost 14 years ago...




I am a true girly girl.  I love pink, perfumes, and I love dressing up and looking pretty. I also love romance and all things romantic. So...I had always dreamed of a fairy tale proposal...

You know...the kind of proposal where your beloved whisks you off to some exotic country, secretly plans for your closest family and friends to surprise you there, and then has a huge rock of a ring, ready to pop the big question. I know, I know...I sound shallow right. What can I say...I was young and pretty naive once. I didn't understand the true meaning of marriage and commitment.

Well, sadly I had neither of the above. Instead, The Hubs proposed to me as I was watching TV one afternoon. How dare he? He'd come through the door, gotten down on one knee, and with ring in hand, asked me to marry him.

I still remember my jaw dropping reaction. I was surprised. I hadn't expected him to do it quite like that. And that's what The Hubs was going for. As someone who always finds out the surprise, he figured he'd do it in a way that I wouldn't have expected. And when he's right...he's right.

I joke about all this now, but in all seriousness, I get the importance of the proposal now.  It's really not about the moment and all that romantic stuff (though it does make for great storytelling), but it's more about the work ahead...in marriage and building a life together. Here's my advice to my pre-married self.

But still...I'm curious. How was your proposal? Was it all you hoped it would be?

No comments: