Friday, April 15, 2016

Collect Moments Not Things

Last week I wrote about collecting and treasuring special moments. Even though I don't believe in the "more is better" mentality, we live in a world where it can be so easy to lose sight of what's really important.

We spend so much time on things. Buying things, collecting things, buying more things...and when we run out of space for those things, we need a bigger house to make room for those things that we really don't even need. Let's face it...in a world where meals are "supersized," and a closet is only a closet when it's "walk-in," we can lose focus.

And that's why I decided to issue myself a challenge...



For the next month, I'll be living in the moment and capturing the special instances that make life worth living and experiencing.  And I can't think of a better way to start than by looking back at the following moments.

First, Buddy Roller was two years old at the time, and he just adored Thomas, the train. I remember ordering his conductor hat for an upcoming trip to spend the day with Thomas and Friends.  On the train to meet Thomas, I was taking a photo of Roller, captured by one of our neighbors, who also took the trip with us. Just look at Roller's face. How excited he was! And me, I was equally excited to share this special time with him. Motherhood...the moments we share with our children.  Love this pic!


Next, I had encouraged my 6th graders (actually I made them) write thank you notes to our principal after she had shared her personal connection to the Civil Rights Movement during a 6th grade assembly. 


And then the most awesome thing happened. She wrote back to each and every one of my students, thanking them for their thank you cards. I don't know, but something about her taking the time to do this really made an impression on my heart. And my kids were happy to receive their cards too!



Finally, it's a sacrifice to be a volunteer coach for a girls' running club after school. To be honest, at times I feel my time could best be spent with my family, planning lessons, or grading papers.  But I'm finding that I always feel grateful that I get to spend time with the girls. The day each girl and coach took the time to write  positive messages to each other was a boost not only to me...but to everyone as well!











So here we go.  I'm going to be intentional about collecting memories...not things, for the next month. Will you take this challenge with me?

No comments: