Friday, April 8, 2016

Treasure the Moments


My mother-in-law tells the story best.

Many, many, years ago, she spotted them from the window of her kitchen.  They were playing in her back yard. A teenager and his girlfriend.  They weren't doing anything special.  Just playing around, chasing each other...the young girl's long brown hair trailing behind her in the New England breeze. At one point, the young girl even climbs on her boyfriend's back, both laughing and delighting in each other. Young, naive and in love. And every time she tells the story, my mother-in-law reminds me how envious she was of those two teenagers.  Not in a bad way...but she realized then how special and rare their love was.

I've heard this story maybe four times in the last 26 years, and every time my mother-in-law tells it, I always end up feeling happy and nostalgic.  The Hubs and I...played a lot during our early years together.  In fact, I remember climbing up his back and sitting on his shoulders quite a bit.  Of course, I was a bit smaller and weighed less back then.

So, in honor of those early years...I climbed right up there on The Hubs' back. And the photo...courtesy of my mother-in-law who witnessed our budding love some 26 years ago.

Collect the moments. And treasure them.

No comments: