Thursday, July 6, 2017

Childhood Friendships



Do you remember your childhood friends? How did you meet? Are you still friends today? Yesterday, I was watching Buddy Roller play with his friends, and it got me thinking about an old friend of mine...



Then

Now

They've known each other since preschool, but if you asked any of them, they'd say they don't remember those "early" years. Thankfully there's proof in the picture!  Over the years, birthday parties and our families getting together, have helped these boys remain buddies who laugh loud, play hard, sing (it's pretty cute) and argue (sometimes).  I hope when they grow wise, an old photograph will take them back in time to their childhood, and they will reminisce about the good ol' days.

And that's what got me thinking about my own childhood friend...Annie.  While I don't remember the exact day we met, we went to the same prep school in Jamaica.  She always wore her hair in two pony tails which were always in plaits, and when she smiled, her eyes did too. Always. I remember she was always kind to me, and I know this because I always felt good being around her. While in grade school, she was diagnosed with diabetes, and I remember feeling the seriousness and weight of it all.  To this day, I still remember her (and her mom) being really good about eating well, especially when she had to have snacks in between meals.  Sometimes she would have sliced juicy red tomatoes sprinkled with a little salt and a slice of toasted Jamaican hard dough bread with butter. Even back then, I didn't think that was a weird snack at all, and even though I wasn't fond of tomatoes then, I really wanted to like them because of her.

When I moved from Jamaica in 1988, I lost touch with Annie for over 20 years. But thanks to Facebook (technology has its benefits!), we were able to connect again - she actually lives pretty close to my MIL in Florida. We took a few photos to mark our reunion, and we traded a few phone calls over the years.






















We haven't talked in a while, so Annie...I owe you a call!

No comments: