Monday, February 12, 2018

I Gotchu



It's that time of year again...




"I gotchu," he responded brazenly and not quite loudly, but certainly "loud enough" so that a few others could hear him .  This is after I'd asked him a third time to get to work.

Now mind you, this is also after I had already given instructions on what to do, and this was only his second time, in barely two minutes, of not doing what he was supposed to be doing.

I walked up to him, and in my nicest teacher voice I said, "Please step outside for a moment."

I am always prepared for these moments. I am super calm. I speak clearly, and I never raise my voice.

"Do I look like I'm 12?" I asked.

"No," he said avoiding my eyes.

"Well you certainly spoke to me as if I'm 12.  Please look at me when I'm speaking to you."

He did.

"Do I ever disrespect you?" I asked.

"No."

"When you are having a bad day, and you come in here with an attitude, do I ever speak unkindly to you?"

"No."

"I am not one of your peers. I am not 12. I am a 44 year old woman. I am your teacher, and just like I respect you, you should be respectful too."

Quiet.

"When you come to my class, I expect that you will do your work, and respect those around you.  Do you understand?"

"Yes."

"This is the last time I want to have a conversation like this with you.  Do you understand?"

"Yes."

And that was that. He went back in the classroom, and he even participated several times.  He was a model student for the rest of the day.

All is good in the world. At least for now.

It's that time of year again...

No comments: