Friday, February 16, 2018

Thinking of Parkland


Since Wednesday, I haven't been able to get Parkland out of my mind.  I keep thinking of the entire community, the students, teachers, parents, the victims, those who survived, and those who didn't...


I especially thought of the parents and the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School this morning when I visited Buddy Roller's school for his third grade patriotic pageant.

The students sang and performed, and were a delight. I was immediately reminded of those students and the entire community of Parkland, and I felt guilty. Because while I was all misty eyed and thankful to see and hug my kid, I thought of those parents who could not.  It is heartbreaking.

The third graders sang the song, This is My Country. The lyrics go...

This is my country; the red, the white, the blue.
This is my country; it's home to me and you.
This is my country, and I love her more each day.
This great big country; the good ol' USA.
This great big country; the good ol' USA.

This great big country. How great are we if our kids aren't safe at the one place they should be?

When I got to my son's school, the doors were locked. Schools started this policy as a result of mass shootings in Columbine and Sandy Hook. Do you remember when schools had an open door policy? I do.  Do you remember when schools were a safe place for fun and learning? I do.

I don't know what the answers are. I know that there continues to be serious and passionate discussions about gun laws and school safety; everyone will never agree on one solution. 

But I think everyone can agree on this.  No parent should send their child to school and fear that their son or daughter will not return home.  Not in this great country of America.

Parkland, I'm thinking about you and sending prayers. 

No comments: