Thursday, January 9, 2020

Big News from Harry and Meghan

Image result for meghan and harry"

When I first heard the news today of Meghan and Harry "stepping back" from their royal duties, my first thought was...



...good for you Meghan!!!

I love that the most popular members of the British royal family are doing things on their own terms, and to me, it seems they have been pondering this split for quite some time.  They purposely blew the royal nest this Christmas and chose instead to spend the holidays in Canada. I wonder how the Queen took that news!

In a statement released today via their Instagram account, they mentioned taking "many months of reflection" and working towards being "financially independent," but what this sounds like is that they (or rather Meghan) want to be independent from the monarchy. Their statement was done diplomatically, citing that they want to continue to "fully support" the Queen, but I'm reading between the lines here. I hear loudly and clearly that they want out of the spotlight and out from the scrutiny of the nasty British press.

The couple now plan to split their time between the UK and North America so that they can give their son the best of royal traditions, but this shift also allows them the "space" to focus on their next steps. Again, all I'm hearing is that they just want to be as far as possible away from the "duty" and pomp and circumstance that comes with royalty.

Meghan herself has recently spoken about how hard the past several months have been, and how the press has been "unfair" in their reporting of her. She has said she is not okay. I can't help but wonder if this is more of Meghan's doing than Harry's. After all, Harry seemed quite comfortable with his royal duties, and he was getting along quite well with William and Kate before Meghan came along.

I think it's sad that things got this far. I have no idea what has really gone on. No one really does except the people involved.  But for someone on the outside looking in, I feel that William and especially Kate should have done a better job of welcoming Meghan into the family. As the wife of older brother William, I think it would have been nice of Kate to go out of her way to make Meghan feel more like family. It seems like Meghan has had a tough time adjusting to her new life and how comforting it would have been to have a friend, a confidant, a sister...family...to help with the adjustment of life in the British spotlight.

I think Meghan misses her old life and freedom to some extent. I think she misses speaking up, being in control of her narrative and having control over her social media content. I think she misses blogging on The Tig.  Heck. I think she may actually miss Hollywood and acting. I may go as far and say she misses taking and posting a selfie or two! I say this because I've seen most (okay all!) of her old posts on the gram.

But who says she can't have it all? Who says she can't be a Hollywood star and a member of British royalty? Because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't be done. I say go ahead Meghan. Do your thing. Create your own rules.  No need to accept things as they are.  Life is short. Be happy and continue to take charge of your life. And the only reason Kate was cold with that stiff upper lip is because you could, and because you did. You broke the rules.  And she didn't have the guts to do the same!

For more posts on my royal obsession read this post and this one.


No comments: