Friday, May 29, 2015

Are You a Hugger?

Growing up, I wasn't. My parents were not very affectionate at all, yet I knew I was loved by the way my mom always took care of us.

When I met The Hubs, that all changed...


His family is full of huggers! I remember meeting his family for the first time and having that feeling of warmth and love by way of those hugs.  To this day, no one gives a hug quite like his mom.  I'm not taking about some awkward side hug, or one of those hugs when two people meet halfway and pat each other on the back. That's a lousy hug!

The hugs I'm talking about are when two people embrace and become one, and you are just enveloped by a tight cocoon that can last several seconds...or more.  There's no talking. Just some serious hugging. Now that's a hug!

I'm reminded about several weeks ago when a colleague of mine lost her dad to a massive heart attack.  On her first day back at work after his funeral, I went to visit her.  We hugged.  It was one of the longest hugs I've ever gotten. We didn't talk, and we just stood there in an embrace for what seemed an eternity.  And you know what? That's okay.  Because sometimes there are just no words.

Since becoming a mom, I'm a much more affectionate person.  I love giving and getting hugs.  But I'm always tickled when my hugs are met with a stiff response, or when I observe people who have that invisible wall up...like they're holding up a "I'm not a hugger" sign. Some people are just not huggers.



While we're in the Bowie, MD area this week, we had a chance to visit with some relatives of The Hubs we haven't seen in a very long time. Should I reach in for a hug? Would it be awkward and stiff? Of course not! We're talking about the family of huggers! I went all in and was pleasantly pleased when I received the tightest and warmest of hugs! Good stuff!

Are you a hugger? And if not...why the heck not? Get in there and hug on someone today!!!

No comments: