Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Chalk Talk: I'm Now "That" Teacher

When I was in high school, I remember teachers trying to connect with me and other students by making a reference to a particular song or movie. I remember not always getting that connection because I had never seen or even heard the song the teacher was referring to.

I realize now...I've become that teacher.


My students don't always watch the same television shows I do, or listen to the same music I do.

This week, we're planning a really fun day for our 7th grade students. For our "Fun Festival," each teacher will hold a different activity in his/her room. We have a movie room, board game room, tie-dye t-shirt room, sign your yearbook room, etc. etc.

In my room, I'll be painting nails while another teacher will be beading bracelets. So this past weekend I had the tedious task of finding an assortment of nail polish colors for hundreds of 13 year old girls who are sometimes hard to please.

How would I choose colors they would love and want to wear?

The answer was actually quite simple.

I just chose colors I wouldn't wear because that would mean...they would love them!

Problem solved.

No comments: