Monday, July 7, 2014

Make Someone's Day - 1


When you live your life with intention, with the goal of making someone's day, you tend to be very aware of your surroundings and those around you.

You really take notice of people, look them in the eye, and greet strangers with a smile INSTEAD of being on your cell phone talking, or texting, trying to disregard the human race.

That was me today.

I was trying to figure out the "how" and the "who" for day one of this challenge.

I did hold the door open for an elderly gentleman but that certainly did not constitute "making his day."

But little did I know, it would be a "two for one" day.



After spending the last several weeks with Buddy Roller so far this summer, The Hubs thought it was a good idea for him to go to school this week to give me a little break and some "me" time.

After dropping Buddy Roller off at school, I called "my sista from anotha motha" to see if she was free for lunch.

She and I were truly destined to be friends as both our husbands received a kidney transplant on the same day from the same donor - imagine that!!!

Well that story deserves it's own post later.

Anyhow, I had been trying to meet with her for several weeks, but as she was going through a really challenging period in her life, we hadn't seen each other in a while.

She agreed to meet me today.

Coco Cabana's grilled chicken with yellow rice, beans and sweet fried plantains

Over the next three hours at lunch, we would eat some of the best Cuban food ever, talk, laugh and even get emotional about life's journeys.

When our time together was over, I felt moved to give her my copy of the CD, 101 Ways to Transform Your Life by Dr. Wayne W. Dyer.


This CD had certainly helped me in the past, and I felt that while I tried to support her by listening and being a good friend, this disc would provide more comfort and guidance than I ever could.

Later, on my way to pick up Buddy Roller from school, I stopped home to change, get his bike and helmet, and pack a surprise snack for him as we were going to the park.


Earlier in the day I had bought him a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles backpack and lunch bag in preparation for the start of kindergarten next month.

Believe me, these turtles (and Lego Batman) are all he raves about right now!

I filled his lunch bag with his favorites, sweet and juicy watermelon chunks and a Welch's fruit snack.

When I picked him up from school, he was so excited and thankful for his surprise.

It made my heart smile to see the joy on his face.

 


On the way to the park, I asked him about his day, what he did, what he ate, who he saw, etc., etc.

The usual mom interrogation.

And then I asked him what his favorite part of the day was.

And you know what he said?

"Now is the best part of the day."

Wow!!!

Here it was, I was trying to make his day, and instead, he made mine!

Then several hours after seeing "my sista from anotha motha," she would contact me, graciously thanking me and telling me how "amazing" the CD is and how it made her feel better and it was "just what I needed."

Imagine that!

This challenge is off to a great start.

I wonder what would happen if I tried to do this beyond seven days?

I wonder how much better this world would be if more people did this?

It does make you a happier person when you make someone else happy.

I wonder what day two of this challenge will hold.

No comments: