Sunday, July 6, 2014

Make Someone's Day


I was issued a challenge today.

Well not me, personally.

The congregation of Victory World Church.

That's the church I attend, by the way.

In a thoughtful and humorous sermon, the Young Adult Fusion Pastor, David Stephens, challenged everyone to do something to make someone's day.

Every day.

For seven days.

And you know what?

This girl is up for a challenge.

Especially when it involves making others happy.



We're in a series at my church where the focus for the summer is on the book of Proverbs and wisdom.

How to live your life, treat others, and make decisions based on discernment.

Each week there is a sermon, a blueprint really, for how to live your life with these principles.

Today's message was about having a "wise mouth."

Using your mouth to speak "life" and not negativity to others.

The message was this (1) fight the right fight, (2) be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry, and finally (3) make someone's day every day.

And that's where the challenge came.

To do something for someone else, every day for the next several days.

Pastor Stephens illustrated his point right away.

He instructed us to take out our cell phones and text anyone of our choice with a message telling them something to make their day.

The first person who came to mind was my mom.

I sent her the following text:

Mom, I love you.
You mean so much to me.
That's why I miss you so much.
I long for us to be together.

And you know what?

It worked.

It brightened her day and put a smile on her face.

And so that's my goal.

To bless someone, anyone, with a random act of kindness.

Seven different people.

Over the next seven days.

No comments: