Thursday, July 31, 2014

Building Blocks

 After over two months off from work, I returned to school this week.

I had been preparing myself for the day since last week.

Since spending several weeks on summer vacation with more time for myself...no time constraints, no deadlines, and no rushing around, it is hard to get back in "work mode."

In fact, I started writing this post on Tuesday, and I'm just now finding the time to finish it!

My free time is over.


On Tuesday, the morning of my return to work, I found these Lego creations in the spare bedroom of our house...a place where Buddy Roller often plays.

They brought a smile to my face.

Don't you just love it when you find traces of your son or daughter's existence in unexpected places?

I know I do.

The main reason I was dreading my return to work is because of Buddy Roller.

As a working mom, it saddens me that I will have less time with him.

I will not be able to drive him to school, pick him up, and volunteer in the many areas at his elementary school as I would like to.

But I am reminded about the foundation The Hubs and I have provided for him and that eases my mind a bit.


Buddy Roller's Lego pieces remind me of building blocks, if you will, that we have given him to prepare him for life.

The values, morals and teachings we have so far instilled in him.

Just the other day I noticed the little changes in him.

The way he always remembers to say grace before he starts eating a meal.

The way he remembers to go to the bathroom and wash his hands when we get home.

All this without being told.

As as I think about Buddy Roller and these building blocks of life, I can't help but think of my own personal growth.

In a previous blog titled "Yes Girl," I mentioned how saying the word yes can open up doors of opportunities.

So...in the spirit of being a role model for my son and growing as a person, I said yes to a leadership position at my school.

And I only said yes because another teacher agreed to share the responsibilities with me.

You have to know that I have turned down these opportunities at my school many times before.

You must know that while I'm comfortable teaching a room full of teenagers, I am not so comfortable "leading" grown ups.

Just this very week I have contemplated my decision, wondering if I'm the right person for this role, and is it too late to back out.

After much deliberation, I have decided to see it through.

That being afraid and nervous as heck are the very reasons why I should do this.

I can only grow from this experience.

And that is worth it.

I will definitely keep you updated on my progress and let you know how it goes.

In the meantime, check out a few photos of what I did this week getting my classroom ready for the first day of school..which is next Tuesday!








No comments: