Friday, January 1, 2016

What I Want to Gain in 2016




Now that 2015 is old news, I'm looking forward to 2016 with some anticipation.  I'm not big on New Year's resolutions; here's how I feel about that.  While some people are planning to hit the gym to lose those unwanted pounds (Really? Why do you need a new year to decide to be healthy?), I'm more focused on what I want to gain this new year.




Here are five things I want more of in 2016.

Wisdom. Perhaps it's time to say goodbye to all the things I truly waste my time on...reality TV...and spend more time gaining wisdom. That is, reading many books (including The Bible) and surrounding myself with wise people in order to gain more knowledge.  Confession.  Yes.  Reality TV is my guilty pleasure. There I said it. The Kardashians and The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, New Jersey, and Orange County add no value to my life. They're entertaining and funny as heck, but not so good in the wisdom department. You feel me?

Joy.  This year, I will be more deliberate in creating opportunities for laughter and happiness. That means spending more time with the friends and family who bring me sheer joy...just by being in their presence. And that means if those people are not around, I just have to travel to see them. That includes my mom because I just have to make it happen.  That also means working less at relationships that are like a one way street.  This is how I feel about friends...love them all...but if there is no reciprocation after many attempts...it's just time to move on.  And this also means creating pockets of time for me to do the things that make me happy (read this post and this one)....blogging, reading, running, and forming meaningful and positive relationships.

Peace of Mind. I've often blogged about the struggles of working moms.  Here's another post, and another one, and another one, and another one on this topic.  This is truly one area that I continue to battle with. My mind is always racing with things to do and worry about. I've not been at peace.  But something The Hubs has often said is really resonating with me, and I think it may be the solution I've been looking for. It's one simple phrase that if I truly follow, I can get to peace of mind. And the phrase is, "No more square pegs in round holes."  That's it! Simplicity at its best. There's not much more to say about this one, other than this phrase is my motto this year when it comes to everything including marriage, family, motherhood, friends, work. Everything!

Best Friend Status with The Hubs.  Here's some required background reading on how we met, our wedding song, how I told him he was going to be a dad, why the number 21 is so special to us, and here's a post on a rare date night.  The bottom line is, my marriage (with God at the forefront) is the foundation of our family. Without it, there is no family.  And in the midst of life, the ups and downs, the challenges and the struggles, the highs and the most awesome blessings, being best friends with my husband is what makes it all work and run smoothly.  This year we've both decided that being best friends is something we're committed to, whatever it takes, with this as our goal, we can't really go wrong.  The truth is sometimes our spouses can take a back seat to this motherhood thing. It's hard to balance it all (see below), and it's hard for husbands to go from feeling like they're number one (before kids) to feeling second (after kids). That's really hard for some men. So working on this goal, together, is a good thing.

Balance (Imbalance?). And finally this one. The reason this blog was even created was to help me find balance. But you know what I discovered? The fact that I've been trying to find balance means that I care very deeply about my family - and that's a good thing. It's the same reason so many moms stress over this word, have no peace of mind, and it's the reason this topic finds its way into so many discussions.  And you know what else I also discovered? Imbalance is good. Really good. You know why? Motherhood goes through many phases. And when your kids are little and young, they need their moms. Really need them. And that's why there seems to be no balance. But there will come a time, when the kids are grown, and you are confident you have done everything in your power to make them outstanding citizens that you are proud of, and they will need their moms a little bit less (okay a lot less), and us moms will have done our jobs and will have our balance back.  Yes. So this season of imbalance is okay, and that's how I'm choosing to look at this.

So. Happy New Year.

Be amazing!

And may 2016 be your best year yet!

No comments: