Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Do What Blows Your Skirt Up - Part Two


In all my 40 years, I have never done it.

Growing up, my father wouldn't allow it.

But, I was determined to do it. 

Today I was going to check it off my bucket list, and I was sure it was going to blow my skirt up.

Meet Ariana.  She's never done it either.


And of course, yours truly...


Up until 6:15 p.m. today, we were total strangers.

But, by chance we met at this little old skating rink to accomplish one life-long dream.  

To learn how to roller skate!


Fancy that.

Some may call it a coincidence, but as our agile instructor who taught us the basic principles of skating in just under one hour put it, "It was meant to be."


By the way, our teacher, Mr. Dennis Lowe, was born to coach amateurs how to skate, and he sure knew it too.

He was showing off his veteran moves on the floor.

I ain't mad at him though! Go 'head with your bad self, I thought to myself.

Mr. Lowe, and others in our small skating class, thought Ariana and I had been friends for years.


I guess it's because we were talking and laughing as we made our way slowly round and round the skating rink helping each other along the way.

We were dancing (they were playing songs that made you just want to bust a move like Pharrell's Happy, Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines, and R. Kelly's Step in the Name of Love) and trying to balance without breaking our tooshies.

But you know what?

It was hard not to laugh and be happy. This place just does that to you.


And so two hours later, after some major sweating and laughing out loud a lot of times, I know we accomplished what we set out to do.

And I didn't even fall...not once!

I'm not, by any means, a skilled skater.

Not yet anyways :-)

I'm still a little shaky on my skates but...

I did it.

Finally!

It was fun.

And it blew my skirt waaaay up!

Isn't that what life is about?

Taking chances, meeting people, and just having a darn good time.

So get out there, and do what you've been wanting to do.

A happy you, means a happy life.

Just listen to Pharrell...

No comments: