Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Every Item Tells a Story



I bet that for every item in your house, there's a story to tell...



A long time ago, before The Hubs and I were married, we moved in together (!).  We were really young, and we didn't have a lot of money.  I still remember our little apartment on Roswell Road in Atlanta. We slept on a blow-up bed for a few nights, but little by little, we started to buy things to make our rental a home.

I remember some of the first pots and pans we bought. They were from Walmart, and they were not very expensive. Now many many years later, after our wedding and doing life, we still own those same pots. I still cook with them to this day. In fact, I just used one today. The pot has signs of wear and tear, the handles are not as secure, and the bottom is worn off. Several times I've had thoughts of throwing them out. They're old! But every time I get that thought, I talk myself out of it. The pots still do their job.

Every item tells a story. These pots are a reminder of how we started out. Our life together. They remind me of our journey, the challenges we've had, and the victories we've celebrated. I've since bought more expensive pots, to replace the old ones. They're sturdier and built to last longer. But I think I'll hold on to these old pots. I like what they represent, and every once in a while, it's a good reminder of how far we've come.

No comments: