Friday, April 3, 2020

Postcards From Jamaica


When I visited Jamaica in January, for my father's funeral, it was a super short trip, but we made the most of our time, in the country of my birth...


I had struggled with even going at all, but in retrospect, I'm glad I did. And having some special people with me, made all the difference.


I was able to see my brother and sisters and meet my littlest nephew for the first time. 



My Uncle Glen was a great source of support and strength, both in front of and behind the scenes. After the service, we were treated to some really delicious Chinese food. And this foodie, to this day, cannot forget the sweet and sour chicken...sooo good! 



Later that day, we visited Emancipation Park in Kingston.  We strolled through the beautiful park, admired colorful tropical flowers and plants and soaked in the beauty all around us.


Look at this amazing 11 feet bronze sculpture that symbolizes freedom and redemption. 


It was so special to see my Aunt Lucille who I haven't seen since I left Jamaica in the 80's. Spending time with her and my cousin, Susan, was most definitely the highlight of the trip.



Finally. Our last stop was to Devon House for their legendary ice-cream. No trip to Jamaica is complete without it.


Sadly we didn't make it to the beach, but there's always next time.

No comments: