Sunday, April 12, 2020

These Three Little Words


When I was growing up, these three little words weren't used a lot...



I knew my mom loved my sister and me. She showed it in the ways she nurtured and took care of us, meeting our every need. But I love you was not a daily thing uttered from my parents to each other, or between my sister and me. It just wasn't. Now, as an adult, that changed. Whenever I speak to my mom or sister, on the phone, we almost always end with I love you.

In our home, I love you is said often. Before the quarantine, we said these three little words before we left each other for the day. During the quarantine, we say I love you before leaving a room to go off and do our own thing.  During the day, Buddy Roller professes his love for The Hubs and me, at least a few times each day. Throughout the day and at night, those words are repeated and said amongst us, again and again.  As repetitive as these words are, their significance is not lost on me. Or any of us.

I'm certain it's because we all realize how fragile life can be.  Each day is a grim reminder as several hundred people lose their lives to COVID-19. Every day.  In the past year, The Hubs has been in and out of the hospital battling a chronic illness. I think on some level, Buddy Roller even though he's only ten, gets that life is uncertain. He sees that The Hubs and I say those words all the time, to each other. He's repeating that behavior, and I love it.

So. These three words, though small, mean a big thing. And we'll continue to say them because we know how important they are.

No comments: