Thursday, April 16, 2020

Passing Time


How are you and what are you doing to pass the long hours each day during quarantine?


Can you believe it's week five!  I'm now getting used to this; it may be hard to go back to "normal." Of course I miss people, hugging friends, going out to eat, and not feeling so uncertain.

But I do love this slowing down period, not having to get "dressed up" every day and not knowing what day it is.  I love smelling fresh cut grass and realizing that yes, I am taking delight in the simple things. When I go for a walk now, I actually listen to and appreciate the chirping of the Songbirds and Cardinals in my neighborhood and at local walking trails.


We take many walks now. I call it "recess." Buddy Roller and I stroll through the park and talk about anything. At first, he resented our walks. He would much rather play with his electronics. Can I tell you how much I hate Fortnite! I must not be a "fun" mom because I would much rather read a book, play a board-game or make a puzzle than play video games! Anyways we had a good talk the other day about spending this time together, and just yesterday he slipped his small hand in mine as we walked through the winding trail. I treasure these moments. He's growing up so fast; our time together is so special.


We take lots of family bike rides too. We have our own secret path, and we're getting so good making it up really steep hills. Buddy Roller can now ride his bike...hands free! He's taking after The Hubs.  It's both cool and terrifying to watch!




Since I hate video games, I love that we read as a family most nights. Don't get me wrong, The Hubs and Buddy Roller still get their time in, but I use my free time to do me. I may watch Netflix (have you seen Love is Blind!!!) journal or blog. It works out for everyone.



We've had to get creative too and find other things to fill our days. We've had our share of sidewalk art using chalk, and we've been playing Guash. That's squash in the garage. The Hubs came up with the name. We "converted" our garage into a squash court by using chalk to draw boundary lines. It was such hard work. Just kidding!  It's been quite fun, we get a little workout, and since we're all so competitive there's no shortage of trash talk and inevitably someone gets mad.

Hope you are coping and finding fun ways to fill your days. Hang in there!

No comments: