Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Chalk Talk Tuesdays


I feel like a weight has been lifted!

I was just saying the other day that I have taken on more than I can handle.  Well today that problem sort of worked itself out. When I first signed up to take the ESOL graduate level course at my school, there were about 18 people in my class. Then that number quickly dwindled to about eight. And then there were three (including me)! Now the county has decided there aren't enough teachers left in the course to warrant an instructor coming to our school to teach us. In order to continue with the course, we would have to commute to another site.  So today, the remaining two teachers and I decided to drop the course. One of the main reasons we signed on to do the course was the convenience of having an instructor come to us.

I am content with the decision. It was getting difficult fitting a square peg in a round hole with the weekly requirements of the course plus all the other to do's. I don't view the last several weeks as time wasted.  Rather I see it as time well spent getting to know my colleagues and learning some invaluable lessons I can take with me on my teaching journey.


As I taught my students today to use a Venn diagram to organize their notes when comparing and contrasting two texts (they were all so eager to write on the white board!), I was happier knowing I didn't have to rush home to write yet another paper for that course. I felt more relaxed. One less thing on my plate. One less thing to keep me up late at night.

Later today, as a starving Buddy Roller and I were waiting for Chinese take-out, we did what we knew best to fill our time...we took selfies.


One less thing on my plate means more fun and more time with the ones I love. And that makes for a happier Tuesday!

No comments: