Monday, October 27, 2014

Mondays with Roller


What's your favorite part of the day?

Mine is cuddling up with the Roller at the end of a long day to read bedtime stories and just talk. My favorite questions to ask are: What did you have for lunch today? What did you learn today? What was your favorite class? Why? What was your favorite part of the day? Almost always, I get a very detailed answer with arms and fingers moving around to explain the goings-on of a five year old in kindergarten.

Lately, the conversation always ends up with animated talk about Lego Batman or Injustice...these are the computer games he plays with The Hubs when they have their "male bonding time." To be honest, I'm not a big fan (at all!) when it comes to electronics. I know...I'm no fun right! But...I think it's super cute that they have their fun together as father and son. Buddy Roller is always trying to get me sucked in to playing with them, but so far...this mommy is not budging. Ha!

Do you have a good trick for getting your little ones out of a bad mood? 

At the end of the day, when Buddy Roller gets super tired, he gets super cranky.  Oh my! Like tonight, for example, he got really sulky because I told him, "No, you can't play Lego Batman on a school night." "But daddy said I could," he complained. "Well the rules are no electronics on a school night," I said, firmly holding my ground. And then his cute little face contorted into a monstrous being...I hardly recognized him!  Oh my again! Things would have gone downhill from there, but I had a trick up my sleeve.


When in doubt, start singing! Yes, you heard me right. I started singing the Star-Spangled Banner, and it worked like a charm! He forgot all about his five year old worries and started belting out those tunes....all off key and everything.  The truth is for the past several weeks,  he's been singing this song over and over again...during his shower. Yes I know this because for the past several weeks, he's sang it to me, and then has asked me when he's done, if I want to hear it again. And I answer, "Of course I want to hear it again!" LOL, the things we do as moms.

After that, things were quite jolly. We read not one, but two books, said prayers, and little Roller fell asleep in no time. And you know what? I'm looking forward to doing it all over again...tomorrow.

No comments: