Saturday, October 4, 2014

Who's Really Important


The UN-important stuff can WAIT!

That's plain and simple, but that's my takeaway this week.  It's no huge epiphany. I KNOW that. But sometimes this wife, mom and teacher needs a reminder here and there.

What a crazy, busy, hectic, yet fun and eye-opening week! This week I managed to make it to school two different days for 7:30 a.m. teacher leader meetings, write a paper and do a presentation for my graduate level ESOL certification class, take Buddy Roller to get his five-year check up, also rush during my planning (85 minutes and that's no easy feat from Norcross to Dunwoody on I-285 when there's ALWAYS traffic even during the weekday at 10 freaking a.m.) to a doctor's appointment for me because stress is showing it effects on me and that's NOT good. And that's all in addition to performing all other wife, mommy, and teacher duties this week.

And of course, it's important to note that none of the above could have been possible without the support of The Hubs.

Ever have weeks like this? I'm sure you do. It's what we all do as parents. And some definitely have it harder than others. I know that.

Yet in the hustle and bustle of this week, I still made time for what's really important:
  1. Time with God in prayer and reading the Bible - and rediscovered two bible verses I SO SO love. Psalm 4:8 - I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. And Psalm 37:4 - Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. These verses have been so comforting to me this week as I tried desperately to clear all the racing thoughts out of my mind...of all on my "to do" lists. 
  2. A 4 a.m. conversation with The Hubs on Friday this week; sometimes you can have a really good conversation when you're half awake.  There was much clarity that morning...LOVE conquers all. It does.
  3. Lunch with Buddy Roller at his school. Even though it was quick, and we were trying to make his doctor's appointment, I treasured that time because as a working mom, it's hard to do all the things I wish I could.
  4. Meaningful conversations with the students I teach. Instead of taking a minute here and there to rush and do all the things I have to do (which I have done in the past), I paused. I took time to talk to my kids this week. It mattered. They felt listened to. I felt like a good teacher. I'm building relationships and that's key.
The unimportant stuff really can wait. When you put your priorities in order, the people that matter know they matter and life is not only more meaningful, but less stressful too.

Here's a picture of Buddy Roller and his pediatrician, Dr. Smart, taken this week at his five year check up. We love this woman! She's awesome and so personable with the Roller. But it's hard to resist this little guy...all 36 pounds and 42 inches of him!

Life is constant...but good!

No comments: