Wednesday, October 1, 2014

We ARE Summerour


On Sunday I wrote about making a special bracelet for a woman who had been terminally ill. Well yesterday, Joni lost her battle with cancer. Her sister and my colleague, Monique, will now begin the painful task of making arrangements for the funeral, and of course "dealing" with the death of her sister. 

Sigh.

That is tough stuff. I can't even begin to imagine...

At my school today, my assistant principal (AP) called an impromptu meeting and asked all the teachers to make Monique some cards and send her some "feel good" notes to boost her spirits. I had always respected my AP and had always known she was good people, and today her actions confirmed what I had already known. She has always said, "We are family," and today she proved that.  We all went to work writing Monique thoughtful words from our hearts and also a few lines to hopefully bring her a smile.

Coincidentally, October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  Look at these ads that will  hopefully bring more awareness and possibly early detection of this sometimes deadly disease.

No comments: