Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Girl Meets Wizard for the First Time


I'll be the first to admit, that unlike elephants, I have terrible memory. I've never seen the movie, The Wizard of Oz. At least, I don't remember seeing it as a child. I think I would have remembered it if I did though.  Anyways, so much of American culture is tied to this movie. To this day, people still make references to this iconic movie, which was released in 1939! Even though I have lived in America for most of my life now, it was time for this Jamaican girl to go meet the wizard...





Throughout the years, I've heard phrases like the yellow brick road, I'm melting, I'm melting, click your heels, and you're not in Kansas anymore. I even know the words to the popular song Somewhere over the Rainbow. Yet, I had not seen the movie, or musical, that started all that. Until this past weekend.

Thanks to The Hubs, who was shocked that I hadn't seen this classic, I got to go see the wizard myself at the fabulous Fox Theatre.



At the end of the show, Sarah Lasko who played Dorothy got a standing ovation of course.  But guess who stole the show? It was Toto played by rescue dog, Nigel. The audience showed just how much they loved the Cairn Terrier's performance by loudly cheering for him at curtain call. He was truly professional and did an amazing job.

I'm glad I finally got to see The Wizard of Oz, and even more grateful that The Hubs surprised me with this unforgettable experience.

No comments: