Friday, June 5, 2020

Finding My Voice


This may be hard to believe, but it's taken me this long to find and use my voice...


Last week a colleague and friend invited me to apply to become an ambassador for Girls on the Run.  I've been fortunate to have coached one season of this incredible non-profit group that encourages a healthy mind and body for young girls through running and interactive lessons.

The role would require a year's commitment, bi-weekly meetings and lots of social media presence and posts. And while it sounds fun and exciting, it's just not my jam at this current time. In the future, possibly.

My friend is so passionate about this group and running that it totally suits her. I guess I was afraid to disappoint her, and that's why I was hesitant to tell her it wasn't for me. Eventually I did. It was the right thing. I was staying true to myself. When I told her, she was totally okay with it. But that moment of me speaking up for myself, even though it wasn't such a big deal, was so important because it's something I struggle with. Finding my voice and using it.

For more Girls on the Run memories, see these posts:

Collecting Moments 7

Who Run the World?

Building Relationships Outside the Classroom

No comments: