Thursday, June 26, 2014

Sweet Jamaica


You can't help but wake up at 6:30 a.m. here.

The sun begins its rise really early, well before 6 a.m., brighter than any star you would dare to look at, you have to shield your eyes, squinting, from the audacity of its glow.




I woke up, made my way downstairs of the home of Gram-Paw, out the main door, towards the pool and strolled to the balcony overlooking the vast amount of trees and mountains, as far as these eyes can see.




Peace and tranquility.

These are the only two words worthy of what I feel.

I am one with beautiful Mother Nature.

I can hear the distant sounds of cars driving along the road, about a quarter-mile from the house.

But what overpowers the silence are the sounds from the small but animated creatures who live here.

There's the incessant waking of the rooster, “Errr-uh-errr-uh-errrrrrrrr,” barking dogs, birds chirping, calling to each other as they find their morning's breakfast to eat, goats, "Naaaaaaaa," as they start their day, pigeons scratching the terracotta roof as they land.  I wonder what their plan is as they just stand there, staring back at me.

It seems all the animals are trying to outdo each other with their own sounds, as if they're trying to stake claim on their ownership of this beautiful land.

Last night Buddy Roller came to see Grand-Paw's home, Twelve Mile, for the first time.


This was the first reason for this trip.

The Hubs and I were truly delighted to see him running back and forth from the main house to the large grassy area that stretched out in front of him.


Buddy Roller was smiling, laughing, and decidedly giddy with joy as he took in all that was literally at his fingertips.


There were many fruit trees filling the expansive front yard....coconut, orange, plum, mango, cashew, guinep, soursop, and many more.

Grand-Paw walked from tree to tree giving Buddy Roller exotic samples to savour.

"Here, take this mango and bite into it," Grand-Paw instructed.

And an all too eager Buddy Roller did just that.

"Yum!" he exclaimed after he took his first bite of the fleshy, sweet, and juicy black mango.

The second reason for this trip is a much needed vacation away from the strains and demands from life in Atlanta. 

A chance to recharge and renew.

And the third reason for this trip - to reunite with my dad and see his children (my half brother and sister whom I hardly know).

It's important that Buddy Roller meets him, and gets a chance to know his other grandfather.

We made plans to meet each other in a few days.

I can't even begin to imagine how it will go.

My emotions.

Will it be awkward?

I have no expectations about the meeting.

And I think that is a good thing.

No grudges.

Right now I'm feeling free of any animosity or resentments.

I plan to have an open mind. 

Open heart.

Love.

Possibly.

Hopefully.

What happened...is in the past.

We can only move forward.

It is the "right" way to approach this.

I am feeling a little nervous.

Anxious.

But hopeful...I am.

As I write this post, I'm wondering what is one thing you need to do in your life that you've been putting off?

Is it also a father or mother you've lost touch with?

A brother or sister?

Some other relative?

Or a friend, perhaps, that you were once close with but you let circumstances get in the way?

Who do you need to make amends with?

What's holding you back?

Well it's been over twenty years for me.

Too long.

The time has finally come.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: