Wednesday, June 11, 2014

He's Not on Speed Dial


You can tell a lot about someone based on the number they have been assigned on your speed dial.

The people you call the most, or those closest to you, are usually on your speed dial list.

A quick look at your list will reveal a lot to you...about those in, or not in, your life.

On our drive home today a curious Buddy Roller asked, "Where does your daddy live?"

Me, "Jamaica."

The questions continued, "What does he look like?"

Me, "He has a head full of grey hair."

This I knew only because of a photo I saw of him many years ago.

I have written in previous posts that I don't really have a relationship with my dad.


I haven't seen him since my first or second year in college.

That was like 20 years ago.

We "try" to call each other for birthdays or Christmas.

To his credit, he calls more than I do.

"Can we call him?" Buddy Roller asked, "What number is he?"

And by that he meant....what number is he on my speed dial list.

Buddy Roller has the ability to pick up my phone at any time and call the people he mostly wants to talk to....with just the push of a button.

This includes The Hubs, his Aunty Kimmie, and his Uncle Errol.

That makes my heart smile.

I wish that list of people included more, but honestly, he wants to call those who take a special interest in his life....those who come to visit...those who make him feel important...and loved...and treasured.

"He's not on speed dial," I answered thoughtfully.

Now that I think about it, I don't know which is worse.

The fact that Buddy Roller has never met my father, or the fact that there are key people in our family who have not come to visit him in almost three years.

And we have a relationship with those people.

What example am I setting for Buddy Roller if he doesn't even know what my father looks like?

What do I need to do to make sure he knows these "key" people in our family?

Things that make me go hmmmm...

We're planning a trip to Jamaica in a couple of weeks.

I'll let you know if I see my dad.

And I'll let you know if he ever makes it on my speed dial list.

While we're on the subject of "things that make you go hmmmm..."

Remember this "oldie but goodie"?

No comments: