Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Letting Go


I'm learning to let go...as a mom.

Not completely.

Just a little at a time.

That's all this mom can handle for now.


Buddy Roller started swimming lessons this week.

On the days leading up to his first lesson, I kept reminding him, "Focus, listen to your teacher, and no matter what, try your best and never give up."


First, there were the usual pool rules.


Then it was time to get in.

And the water was COLD!

A younger Buddy Roller would have called it quits, cried, and came running out of the pool.

This older Buddy Roller decided not to quit.

He's growing up.


When too much water got in his eyes, he kept them closed for several minutes and whined and complained, "Mommy there's water in my eyes. I can't open my eyes."

"Mommy I need help."

Instead of running over to him and enabling him, this mommy stayed put and told him, "Just wipe your eyes, and then open them."


He continued to moan and gripe and you know what? I just let his instructor handle it.

And sure enough, he figured it out.


When he jumped in the pool, and more water got in his eyes and ears, he didn't fuss.

He just kept pushing forward.


What I loved most about swimming lessons so far, is that he didn't give up.

He kept trying.

He did his best.

That's what matters most in his life. Period.


And I think me letting go...is what's helped the most.

No comments: