Friday, June 13, 2014

Life Happens


I got some news today.

Two different times.

Both within an hour of each other.

They were not good news.

One was really unfortunate.

The other...just life. Happening.

That's the only way I can describe it.

I ran into a former student today while out with my family.

I taught her two years ago when I decided to be her mentor.

She was going through a tough time and, I did it because I felt in my heart it was the right thing to do.

She was living with her grandparents because her single mom was living in another state "trying to get her life together," and her dad was not actively in her life.

Anyways, over the years we kept in touch via email and she had even come to visit me at school.

Though we seldom communicated, I often thought about her.

She told me she was living with a new foster family because she, her sister, and brother were removed from her grandparents' home for "abuse."

Over the years I had heard that her grandparents were strict. They had often punished the kids in order to teach them right from wrong.

I had also heard wonderful things about the grandparents; they played a major role in raising their grandchildren.

The kids were taken on several trips and, they were enrolled in many extracurricular activities.

It seemed like an ideal situation.

So I was very surprised to learn the kids were removed from their home.

Now all the siblings are separated and living with different families.

I pray they are safe and being well taken care of.

I pray they will be resilient.

It's unfortunate.

So I was trying to digest that news when I got more.

I learned the mother of a close friend is in the hospital.

She suffered two strokes and is unresponsive.

It's been DAYS.

Tomorrow the family will have "the talk" and decide what will happen next.

Tough decisions.

Tough times.

And though it's life and these things do happen, it does not make it any easier.

The good news is that she has lived a long life.

A good life.

Surrounded by all her friends and family.

Her sons and daughters. Her grandkids. Nieces. Nephews. And the extended family.

They have each other to lean on and provide comfort.

That's a good thing.

It makes me reflect on my own mother and mother-in-law who live out of state.

Away from family.  Their children. Their support.

Life happens.

The good. The bad.

We need to be together.

Not apart.

No comments: