Saturday, June 7, 2014

Why I Love Summers


One of the best perks about being a teacher is the time off.

After working really hard for 190 days, summers are very much appreciated.

Teachers get to relax, rest, and recharge for yet another demanding school year.

So as I do just that, I'm reminded about all the things I won't miss for the next two months.

  1. No more alarm clock.
  2. That means no more snoozing the alarm clock :-)
  3. No more figuring out what to wear to work every day, all week. These days it's shorts and a tee for me!
  4. No more traffic and getting stuck behind a school bus.
  5. No more early morning tutoring sessions.
  6. No more 20 minute lunches. That's crazy right!!?? And that includes the walk to the cafeteria, waiting in  line for lunch, finding a seat, and then literally scarfing down the food.   
  7. No more planning lessons and attending faculty, department, or grade level meetings.
  8. No more parent conferences.
  9. No more phone calls, emails, and text messages to parents.
  10. No more making copies!
  11. No more reading a million and one work related emails every day.
  12. No more sharpening dozens and dozens of pencils....okay I get the kids to do that :-)
  13. No more saying, "Push in your chair, clean out your desk, and pick up the trash," or, "Why didn't you do your homework?" or, "Why didn't you study for your test?" or, "Why are you tardy?" or, "Keep your hands to yourself," or, "Please put away your cell phone," or, "Please remove your hoody," or, "Please spit out your gum," for the zillionth time.
  14. No more hearing, "Mrs. Cooke," or, "Mrs. Cookie," or, "Do I have to do this assignment?" or, "Can I turn this assignment in late?" or, "Can you call my mom so she can take me off punishment?" or, "Can I go to the nurse?" or, "Can I use the bathroom?" or, "Why do I have to?" for the bajillionth time.
  15. No more explaining the procedure for a fire, tornado, soft lock down, or hard lock down drill.
  16. No more inspecting students to see if they are in dress code violation.
  17. No assessments to make or grade.
  18. No homework to grade.
  19. No essays to grade.
  20. No more rushing to use the bathroom in between classes.
  21. No more finding candy wrappers or gum stuck to the inside of a desk.
  22. No more finding students' assignments left inside a desk.
  23. No more...
Okay, I think I'll stop there. 

You get the point. 

But in all seriousness, it's a great job I love and feel fortunate to have.

So, back to why I love summers so much.

Buddy Roller a few summers ago at the Georgia Aquarium

There are so many wonderful and educational activities to do with your kids during the summer.


Just enjoying an icy treat to cool off on a hot summer day is good enough for this teacher and mommy.


Plus who wouldn't want to spend 67 days of summer with the cutest kid in the whole wide world?

No comments: