Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Last Day of School

Today has been bittersweet...





First, as a mom.  You see, Buddy Roller's thoughtful teacher sent me the above photo this morning. It shows his first and last day of school, this year, in the first grade.  Look at him! Gosh how time flies. To think...180 days later, and he's ready for second grade. He's growing up. Too. Fast. So thankful and appreciative that his teacher took this special photo and took the time to send it to me.

Second, it's also been bittersweet as a teacher.  The saying goes, students cry on the last day of school while teachers rejoice as it's the most wonderful time of the year! But I've found the latter to be untrue. I, too, cried this last day of school. I get filled with so many emotions when it comes to my students. I really care about them, and so today has been both happy and sad for me. As I always do, I took hundreds of pictures of my students over the course of the school year, and today I played a slide show for them with the song, See You Again, playing in the background. As you can imagine, as the students looked back at the school year, with their friends...doing different activities and lessons, going on field trips, taking silly selfies with their teacher, or just having fun at field day...they got emotional. And there was no shortage of tissues or hugs going around.

Here are just a few photos from this school year.








I suspect it will always be like this. Bittersweet for me. As a mom and teacher.  On the last day of school.

No comments: