Sunday, November 9, 2014

Run Girl Run


I owe it all to these crazy, colorful, mismatched socks for a pretty awesome 5K today at Atlantic Station.  Just kidding!


As soon as I arrived for race day, I had a feeling things would go well. It must have been those cheerful, bright yellow balloons that welcomed the hundreds of runners and running buddies who came out to run 3.1 miles today.



Teachers and students from my school were well represented and yes, we all wore those same crazy socks. They made it easy for us to spot and cheer each other along...every step of the way.  


Before the race started, I told my running buddy, Cristina, that I would try to keep up with her....but she shouldn't let me hold her back. 


But you know what? We were perfectly matched! Every time when I thought I couldn't go any farther, she would ask for us to walk to which I replied, "Sure, you just tell me what works for you." Meanwhile I was thanking God she wanted to slow down a bit. And that's how the rest of the race went. We just took it slow and steady...alternating walking and then jogging.



We were both feeling pretty good after mile one. At the halfway mark, we got hydrated and were pretty confident about the rest of our journey. I started to feel fatigued when there was about a quarter mile left, but I hung in there determined to finish strong. 


This is Cristina and me at the end of our 3.1 miles. We did well. It was fun and exhilarating! I can't wait to do this again!!!

No comments: